You need Java to see this applet.
The Activity Director's Office
The NCCAP Page
The National Certification Council
for Activity Professionals
Our Mission:  The National Certification
Council for Activity Professionals is a
credentialing body, which sets standards and
criteria to ensure that those we serve have
optimal life experiences
Music: "The Entertainer" furnished by Heart and Soul Music "Providing Quality Music for Nursing Homes"
Why Become NCCAP Certified?

1. Federal Law, OBRA, states that an activity department must
be directed by a "qualified professional." One of the ways to
become qualified is to become a Certified Activity

2. NCCAP certification is recognized by HCFA (Health Care
Financing Administration) as an organization that certifies
activity professionals who work specifically with the elderly.

3. NCCAP certification assures administrators and surveyors
that you have met certain professional standards to become

4. Many administrators will only hire activity professionals
who are already certified.

5. Some administrators offer a higher salary to a certified

6. Become NCCAP certified so others will know that you are
nationally qualified and giving quality activity service to


May derive from a wide variety of curricula: Social Work,
Recreation, Education, and Business degrees. These are a
few of the educational backgrounds that represent our
certified members.

Activity work experience with elderly populations, where at
least 50% are 55+ years of age. Some volunteer work with
elderly clients may be applied.

Current education (within past 5 years): workshops,
seminars, college courses that keep the activity professional
abreast of present trends. NCCAP's Body of Knowledge
contains 27 areas of education with many subheadings that
are applicable.

May include: advising a group, working one to one, teaching a
class, conducting workshops, publishing professional
articles, supervising students and/or managing 5 or more
activity staff persons.

The cost of being certified initially ranges from $45 to $65
depending upon the level. Renewal is required every two
years with 20-40 hours of continuing education and a fee of

For further information visit
NCCAP Will Offer Scholarships to
Individuals Needing to Complete the
MEPAP Courses

NCCAP will be conducting a quality assurance study, which will include
following a group of students through the entire MEPAP process. From
the MEPAP part 1 through to the conclusion of MEPAP part 2 (the
equivalent of the MEPAP 2nd edition, which will be required of all NEW
applicants after 1/1/2007)

Candidates for this study will have the following:

  1. A high school diploma/GED
  2. A minimum of 6,000 hours (3 years) experience
  3. 30 hours of continuing education
  4. 12 college credits (less than 60)

Once accepted into the program/study; the candidates will be required
to apply for NCCAP certification at the ADPC level, then upon completion
of the MEPAP course(s) they will be eligible for the ADC Track 4.

Interested individuals cannot be currently certified. (There is a Beverly
Morris scholarship fund available to assist others with funding for their

Interested individuals must submit in writing to the NCCAP office,
attention Cindy Bradshaw/Scholarship applicant, the following;

  • letter of intent to complete this study
  • letter of recommendation from supervisor/administrator to be a
    part of the study (as the administrator will be required to
    complete practicum evaluative tools as a part of the quality
    assurance study).
  • proof of the high school graduation/GED
  • proof of the 6,000 hours of experience
  • proof of the 30 ce's
  • a transcript to verify the 12+ college credits

NCCAP is also looking for pre-approved INSTRUCTORS that are willing
to train the applicants in this study, granted no more than $500.00 per
student, to assist NCCAP in quality assurance research study, and
baseline data of the MEPAP courses. NCCAP recognizes that this is a
considerable discount to most instructors and would appreciate
knowing if you are available to teach ONE student at this time for this
purpose. ALL willing instructors please email Cindy Bradshaw at, ASAP. Thank you! NN

The Search for Continuing Education Credits
Michael A. Bower
Past NCCAP President

The search for continuing education (CE) hours is unending and
remains one of the most frequently asked questions. Many people living
in rural areas have less access to seminars and training than those
living in cities. There are ways to get CE hours, though.

Most communities have a local hospital. Check out their community
outreach classes. 20% of your CE’s can be health related on subjects
like diabetes, cardiac problems and care, CPR, etc. But many will offer
training on psychoactive medications, Alzheimer’s Disease, Parkinson’
s Disease, and Depression—especially if those subjects are requested.

If there is a community college in the area, take adult education courses
or enroll for a class. For adult education, you will need to provide a CE
certificate for the instructor to sign and it will count for actual hours. For
college classes, the credits convert to CEs at a rate of 1 credit = 10
hours for quarter classes and 1 credit = 15 hours for semester classes.
(But remember: if a college class is used for CE’s, it cannot later be
used to meet the academic component. Once used for the academic
component, it cannot be used for CEs.) College classes can also be
taken online. Whether a college class is used for CEs or the academic
component of a track, it must be verified with an OFFICIAL transcript, not
a student transcript and not a class report.

Look for support groups in your area – Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s,
Hospice, MS, Stroke, Self Help for Hard of Hearing (SHHH) People, and
so forth. They often offer educational sessions both in their local
meetings and by their regional organization. In some areas, you may be
qualified to be a speaker, say, on Alzheimer and related Dementia. Thus
you could earn twice as many credits! Seek out and offer to speak to
service organizations, too, like Kiwanis, Rotary, and Lions. Of course,
there are local and state activity professional groups, the state and
national health care associations, and the NAAP all putting on state and
national conferences. There again, seek out opportunities to be a
presenter as well as an attendee! In my state, our annual state
conferences must offer a minimum of 15 CEs. By going to one a year,
enough CEs are earned to maintain ADC certification.

Remember, when you become certified at any level, that certification is
your responsibility. Having a facility that can afford to send you to training
is becoming less common. It is up to us as Professionals, however, to
maintain our own credentials. That sometimes means we have to
become creative. If any of you have ideas you’d be willing to share,
please drop me a line (1134 – 57th Place SE, Auburn, WA 98092) or go
to the bulletin board on the NCCAP website ( NN

Message from the President
Kathy Hughes, ADC

A Profession of Sharing

There are many “Bulletin Boards” and “Message Boards” available
online to share information about the activities profession. Visiting these
boards can be helpful, educational and give you the opportunity to share
your ideas. This community of sharing is almost unique in the health
care field.

I have searched around the Internet to look for other profession’s
bulletin boards, but the search has been fruitless. We are the only
profession that has the amount of information to share with each other.  
We know that sharing ideas, resources and networking with each other
is not only educational, but also necessary to providing quality
programming for our residents and ourselves.

NCCAP offers a “Bulletin Board” that has many topics organized for easy
access. We have free opportunities for everyone to access including
finding out when the MEPAP Classes will be offered or when the next
state activities conference will be offered (both being our most popular
topics). State association’s find that by posting their upcoming
conferences, their participation increases. We encourage our members
to post upcoming educational opportunities.

So take a moment to visit the NCCAP Bulletin Board as well as the other
Bulletin Boards and Message Boards available to network with other
activity professionals. See you there!

Bulletin Boards and Message Boards on the Internet:


Activity Director’s Office


TR Said RT Said

Activity Professionals Online
Providing Internet Resources
for Activity Professionals
in Long Term Care Settings

Copyright 2004-Present
The Activity Director's Office
All Rights Reserved