You need Java to see this applet.
The Activity Director's Office
The NCCAP Page
The National Certification Council
for Activity Professionals
Our Mission:  The National Certification
Council for Activity Professionals is a
credentialing body, which sets standards and
criteria to ensure that those we serve have
optimal life experiences
Music: "The Entertainer" furnished by Heart and Soul Music "Providing Quality Music for Nursing Homes"
NCCAP Track Five Due to Expire at the End
of the Year!

NCCAP recently opened up a "window of opportunity" for individuals that
completed a basic activity course of 90 hours or less, between 1991 (when
OBRA was implemented) and 2001 (when the requirement for the MEPAP
course/pre-approved instructors was implemented), but that have the
established experience, demonstrating their commitment and dedication to
the field of activities, and have ongoing continuing education to effectively
implement their job responsibilities and duties, an opportunity to apply for
certification as a director.

ADC Track 5 requirements must include:
(HS diploma and/or GED)
1.a basic activity course
(Please check which one applies and/or is
closest to the course you attended)
____36 hours ____ 40/42/45 hour
____60 hour ___72 hour ____ 90 hour ___
MUST have been completed between (1991 -2001)Verified by submitting a
certificate of completion, signed by the qualified instructor.
2. 6 years (12,000 hours) of current activity experience within the past 10
3. 30 hours of continuing education 20%
(6 hours) of which specifically addresses
activity documentation(ie mds,care
planning, assessments).This cannot be
in conjuntion with your activity courses

IF you meet the above criteria;
1. complete the current NCCAP application
2. complete the additional ADC Track 5
application form
3. submit ALL the required documentation
4. submit the appropriate fee(s)

*The window to apply for certification following ADC Track 5, will close

ADC Track 5 is available for INITIAL applicants, meeting the above criteria -
and may apply to currently certified individuals wishing to level change.

*Individuals that have the requirements for Track 5,that are following the
ADPC certification track, MUST also complete the ADC Track 5 application,
along with the application for a level change; level changes will only be
granted if ALL the requirements are met.

THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS to the above. Applicant is responsible to verify
ALL information. Applicant agrees to accept certification at another level (if
applicable) if this level cannot be granted.

The ADC Track 5 application can be downloaded from the download
forms/request for information section of the NCCAP website

As of 1/2007, ALL INITIAL applications to NCCAP will require the entire
MEPAP (180 hours of coursework/180 hours of practicum), not just the
MEPAP part 1. ALL individuals considering NCCAP certification that currently
only have MEPAP part 1, will want to apply for certification ASAP, PRIOR to
the standard changes that will take affect 1/1/2007. *After 1/2007 - those that
have only MEPAP part 1, will have to obtain MEPAP part 2 - in order to apply
for the ADC or ACC levels. (The equivalent to MEPAP 2nd edition

***NCCAP has received numerous POSITIVE comments with regard to this
window of opportunity - as it has also 1)discouraged individual states from
pursuing their own state certification 2)encouraged individuals to take the
initiative to follow through since completion of their courses and become
certified - (these are just a couple of the comments received)

NCCAP will be offering scholarships to individuals needing
to complete the MEPAP courses...

NCCAP to conduct QA Study

NCCAP will be conducting a quality assurance study which will include
following a group of students through the entire MEPAP process from the
MEPAP part 1 - through to the conclusion of MEPAP part 2 (the equivalent of
the MEPAP 2nd edition, which will be required of all NEW applicants after

Candidates for this study will have the following:

1. a high school diploma/GED
2. a minimum of 6,000 hours (3 years) experience
3. 30 hours of continuing education
4. 12 college credits (less than 60)

ONCE accepted into the program/study; the candidates will be required to
apply for NCCAP certification at the ADPC level, and then will be eligible for
the ADC Track 4, upon completion of the MEPAP course(s).

Interested individuals cannot be currently certified. (There is a Beverly Morris
scholarship fund available to assist others with funding for their courses)...

Interested individuals must submit in writing to the NCCAP office, attention
Cindy Bradshaw/Scholarship applicant:
the following;
* letter of intent to complete this study
* letter of recommendation from
supervisor /administrator to be a part of
the study (as the administrator will be
required to complete practicum evaluative
tools as a part of the quality assurance
* proof of the high school/GED
* proof of the 6,000 hours of experience
* proof of the 30 ce's
* a transcript to verify the 12+ college

NCCAP is also looking for pre-approved INSTRUCTORS that are WILLING
to train the applicants in this study, being granted no more than $500.00
per student, to assist NCCAP in quality assurance research study, and
baseline data of the MEPAP courses. NCCAP recognizes that this is a
considerable discount to most instructors, and would appreciate knowing
if you are available to teach ONE student at this time for this purpose. ALL
willing instructors, please e-mail NCCAP at

Safeguard those certificates

By John Collins, CTRS, ACC
Past NCCAP Vice-President

Many certified individuals spend a lot of time and financial resources to
attend continuing education programs in order to renew their certification
every two years. How they handle their certificates determines whether they
are ready when that renewal letter comes in the mail. What I am referring to
is where do you put your certificates from the educational programs? If you
keep them at home, are they in a safe place? And in light of the natural
disasters that have happened this year, will they still be there when you need
them in two years? Hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, sinkholes, earthquakes,
tsunamis, etc. can happen at any time and can destroy your home. When
you attend these continuing education programs you should make sure that
you have a backup plan for retrieving these hours when you need them. File
them in your personnel folder at work, give a copy to a friend to hold, keep a
copy in your department at work. Many organizations do not keep records of
continuing education and do not provide replacement of lost or misplaced
certificates, while others charge a fee for replacements. Don't you think after
spending the money and going to the seminar/conference that the certificate
is valuable to you? Safeguard those certificates.

There are plenty of ways to obtain your continuing education for those on a
budget, with many creative ways available on our NCCAP Bulletin Board.

Certification - the Initial Process

Many people seeking NCCAP certification have found the initial process a
challenge. Gathering all of the information that one needs to apply for
certification can be an overwhelming task. We are here to assist those who
have questions or just need some clarification as to all of the information
that they need for their initial certification packet. Here is a checklist to assist
you. Keep in mind that there are 4-5 components for any level of NCCAP

1        You will need a copy of your High School diploma. Even if you
graduated in 1974 you still need a copy.
2        You will need an official transcript from your college. Send it to your HR
Director who can then hand it over to you to include in your certification
packet. You will also need a student copy so that you can fill out the
“Academic Standard” on your application.
3        The verification of experience letter can be written by your supervisor. It
needs to state that you have the required hours of experience in the direct
delivery of activities services to a population that has 50% over the age of 55.
This needs to be on the “official letterhead” and must be the original. So
make sure you keep a copy for yourself.
4        Continuing education certificates must be complete, that means it
must include the following:
1) The name of the attendee
2) title of the educational session
3) date of the session — Sessions/workshops over 8 hours need to include
a time outline verifying the number of hours attended
4) clock hours spent in the session
5) instructor's name and credentials
6) signature of instructor or sponsor
7) sponsoring agency

Keep copies of all the information that you submitted to NCCAP in your
NCCAP file. The entire certification process takes 8-10 weeks. Once you
have mailed off your packet, please remember that there are several steps
that NCCAP has to take in order to assure that you have met the NCCAP
Standards. We attempt to move the process along, however, there are steps
that our trained volunteers have to take in order to process your packet.
During particularly busy times of the year (holidays, National Nursing Home
Week, Summertime) and the process may take longer.
If you have any questions you can e-mail us at and we will
gladly assist you through the entire process. Also remember that we are
also available online in real time in the NCCAP Chat Room on Monday and
Wednesday nights to help all who are looking for assistance.
Why Become NCCAP Certified?

1. Federal Law, OBRA, states that an activity department must
be directed by a "qualified professional." One of the ways to
become qualified is to become a Certified Activity

2. NCCAP certification is recognized by HCFA (Health Care
Financing Administration) as an organization that certifies
activity professionals who work specifically with the elderly.

3. NCCAP certification assures administrators and surveyors
that you have met certain professional standards to become

4. Many administrators will only hire activity professionals
who are already certified.

5. Some administrators offer a higher salary to a certified

6. Become NCCAP certified so others will know that you are
nationally qualified and giving quality activity service to


May derive from a wide variety of curricula: Social Work,
Recreation, Education, and Business degrees. These are a
few of the educational backgrounds that represent our
certified members.

Activity work experience with elderly populations, where at
least 50% are 55+ years of age. Some volunteer work with
elderly clients may be applied.

Current education (within past 5 years): workshops,
seminars, college courses that keep the activity professional
abreast of present trends. NCCAP's Body of Knowledge
contains 27 areas of education with many subheadings that
are applicable.

May include: advising a group, working one to one, teaching a
class, conducting workshops, publishing professional
articles, supervising students and/or managing 5 or more
activity staff persons.

The cost of being certified initially ranges from $45 to $65
depending upon the level. Renewal is required every two
years with 20-40 hours of continuing education and a fee of

For further information visit